Pages

06 July 2011

Pre-course exercise: focal length and angle of view

The first exercise asked you take three pictures of any scene: one with the lens at its widest setting; one at 'standard' range, so that what you saw through the viewfinder and with the naked eye were approximately the same; and one with the lens at its furthest setting.  My results are below.  All three images were taken using a Sigma 18-250mm lens on auto and they haven't been edited in any way.

Image 1 (taken at 18mm, f9, 1/320) is SJK Beratok, a Chinese school that I'm working with in my current job as a teacher trainer.  The picture was taken from a balcony outside the staff room.

Image 2 (taken at 50mm, f7.1, 1/200) shows the scene again at 'standard' range. I found it quite difficult to simultaneously compare what I saw in the camera and in reality.

Image 3 (taken at 250mm, f6.3, 1/500) is the final, fully zoomed shot - my favourite of the three.  I like the simple geometry of it and the muted colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment